If you are craving comfort food, there really isn't anything more satisfying than macaroni and cheese. The combination of pasta, creamy cheese, and a crunchy bread crumb topping is heaven in your mouth.
4 oz. elbow macaroni
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 TBS. + 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups milk
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 TBS. butter, melted
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, mustard, and salt until combined.
4. Gradually whisk in the milk and heat until it thickens and slightly boils, being sure to continually whisk it.
5. Turn heat to low and add the cheese. Stir until completely melted.
6. Remove from heat and add the pasta to the cheese mixture. Stir to combine.
7. If using, combine the ingredients for the topping in a small bowl.
8. Spoon into a greased baking dish or individual baking dishes. Sprinkle topping mixture on the pasta. Bake for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly. Allow to stand for 5 minutes.
*Note: For a crusty topping, broil for 30 seconds after baking.
Advice Around the House Baking Beauty Best Online Reads Birchbox Birthdays Blogging Events Blogs Books Cats Children's Books Children's Clothing Christmas Cocktails DIY Projects Entertaining Fabulous Finds Family Time Fashion Fitness Food Friday's Fresh Picks Fun Projects for Kids Gift Guide Giveaway Go Green Good Causes Great Gifts Holidays Home Decor Just for Fun Just The Girls Letter From the Editor Life Life Lately Memories Menu Plan New Jersey Objects of My Obsession Parties Pets Product Review Random Ramblings Recipes Seasons Shoes Skincare Starbucks Stonyfield Summer Things I Can't Live Without Travel Type 1 Diabetes Videos Weekend Dispatch What I Want Where I Write Why Me? Wine Wordless Wednesday You Can't Make This Stuff Up Zoo