'Tis the season for comfort food, and hands down, mashed potatoes are my favorite. Thick, creamy, buttery mashed potatoes. What's not to love?
After years and years of making traditional mashed potatoes, I've finally changed up our favorite mashed potatoes recipe. There are so many options when it comes to mashed potatoes, but one of my favorite additions to mashed potatoes is garlic. The combination of garlic and potatoes is heavenly.
I've tried several different ways of adding the garlic to the mixture, and after some trial and error, I have finally settled on a fool-proof and delicious way to combine the garlic with the potatoes.
Here is my favorite recipe for smooth and creamy garlic smashed potatoes.
Garlic Smashed Red Potatoes
1-40 oz. bag Tasteful Selections Ruby Sensations potatoes, quartered
4 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sour cream
3/4 cup milk (I use 2% milk fat, but feel free to use what you prefer)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1. Place potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan in cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. Drain.
2. Over low heat, warm the milk and butter.
3. Add the milk and butter mixture to the potatoes as you are mashing them. Add sour cream continue to mash. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Check for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Any means of mashing will work. You can use a stand mixer, hand mixer, or by hand with a potato masher.
- I like to heat the milk and butter before adding it to the potatoes, but this step is not necessary.
- When reheating, add a small amount of milk and butter to the potatoes.
Not only is Tasteful Selections producing delicious and high quality potatoes, its also giving back to the community. Tasteful Selections is donating profits from specially marked bags of Ruby Sensation and Honey Gold potatoes to . Katie’s Krops growers are part of a non-profit organization empowering children and teens ages 9 – 16 across the US to grow gardens and donate their fresh harvest to the hungry.
This post was written in partnership with Tasteful Selections.