A Whirlwind (and Exhausting!) Weekend

Monday, December 26, 2011
It's been a crazy week. In fact, it's been a crazy month. I'm sure you'll agree. December is hectic. We try to jam our weekends with all sorts of fun holiday activities, and eventually all the activity catches up with us.

It eventually caught up with me last Thursday when I woke at 3:30 am with a fever of 102 degrees F. I promptly took some Advil and tried to fall back to sleep. When I woke at 6:30 to get the girls ready for school, I felt no better. I called my doctor's office and was able to get an appointment for later in the day.

By 2:30 I learned that I had bronchitis and an ear infection. I was put on an antibiotic and a narcotic cough suppressant and was told to take it easy. Yeah. Three days before Christmas. Like that was gonna happen.

I came home and slept for most of the remainder of the day. But the next day, I plugged away. I still had some shopping to finish and all of my wrapping to do.

By the afternoon of Christmas Eve, I had no choice but to kick it into high gear. We made it to 4 pm mass with plenty of time to snag a seat. I love Christmas Eve mass. It's short but meaningful with lots of pretty music. Then we headed to Bay Head to spend some time with the Hub's cousins.

We came home to find a big mess on the floor made by Jolly Holly, our elf. She wrapped a few gifts for the girls while we were out. They unwrapped the gifts, and we posed for our annual Christmas Eve pic.

Emma and I...

Harper mixed up some food for the reindeer; oatmeal and glitter.

The girls sprinkled it in the backyard in hopeful anticipation of Santa's arrival.

Evidence that Santa was here.

Opening some favorite gifts...

We finished off the day with dinner at our house with family. So much good food and good times. But I was exhausted by the end of the night. My niece spent the night, and she, the girls, and I had a sleepover and watched Frosty the Snowman. It was the perfect way to end the night and to end the wonderful weekend.

No comments